Obtain a Marriage License in Putnam County, WV

  • Must be 18 years of age.
  • If under the age of 18, please see WV Code 48-2-301.
  • The following information is needed to apply for a marriage license in Putnam County, WV;
      • Proper ID: Valid Drivers License or Certified Birth certificate
      • Name
      • Address
      • Birth date
      • Place of birth
      • Social security number
      • Parent’s name including mother’s maiden name
      • Parents’ place of birth
  • If either applicant has been married previously, the date that the previous marriage ended will be needed (date of death or divorce).
  • The marriage license is valid for 60 days. If the applicants have not married after the 60 days the license is void. If you wish to get married you will need to obtain a new license.


  • With Premarital Education:
    Total $37.00
  • Without Premarital Education:
    Total $57.00

Note: If you submit an application and later discover that you made a data entry error, DO NOT submit another application. Instead, please bring any corrections to the attention of the Clerk’s staff in the office when you come to complete the application process.

Should you have any questions, please contact the Putnam County Clerk’s office in Winfield, WV, at (304) 586-0202 Option 1.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who may perform premarital education courses?

  1. A professional counselor or marriage and family licensed therapist;
  2. A licensed social worker;
  3. A psychiatrist who is licensed as a physician;
  4. A psychologist who is licensed; or
  5. An active member of the clergy or his or her designee, including retired clergy, provided that a designee is trained in skills-based and research-based marriage preparation curricula premarital education.

What requirements must the premarital education course curricula meet?

The premarital education course curricula must meet the requirements and provide a skills-based and research-based curriculum of the following:

  1. The National Healthy Marriage Resource Center;
  2. A church, spiritual assembly, or religious organization; or
  3. Other substantially similar resources

What proof is needed?

The premarital education provider shall furnish each participant, who completes the premarital education required by this section, with a certificate of completion.

Click here for a sample certificate of completion.


Contact Us to Learn More